Myth #5: Accessibility is expensive and difficult
To make your website accessible, you don’t need to add extra functionality or to duplicate any content. The key is simply to assess the requirements of those with different skills and limited devices when designing the user interface and your content.
To build from scratch a website that’s accessible therefore, costs virtually the same as to develop one that isn’t.
Correcting an already inaccessible site, however, might need extra effort but is always beneficial on the long run since accessible sites are easier and cheaper to maintain.
Why making your website accessible is beneficial:
- Reaching a bigger audience - as many as 14% of the total population might live with disabilities.
- An accessible site always has better usability.
- An accessible website is also SEO friendly.
- Accessibility has other benefits like faster page download
- times, cross-browser compatibility and easier content management.